Bowen.. so much more to explore!
Bowen is one of the lesser known towns in the Whitsundays, with a history steeped in farming and agriculture, this beauty of a seaside town is fast becoming a tourism hub with a diverse and unique set of experiences on offer.
Bowen is best know for the Bowen mango. Summer every year you will find local farmers with pop-up stalls along the roadside selling the most delicious mangoes you will ever taste. A tray of 20 mangoes will set you back around $20 – $30 depending on what time of the season and guaranteed the tray will be devoured before you can blink!
During winter, Bowen offers another range of delightful experiences which are well worth the 45-minute drive from Airlie Beach. Below is our recommendation of how to pack in a day of activity in Bowen:
- On the way into town stop at the Big Mango (visitor centre), try their mango sorbet and have a chat with the experienced locals who work there who may have some hidden gems of their own.
- For those bird watchers amongst you, take a stroll around Mullers Lagoon. The reserve is teaming with bird-life and is a lovely flat walk in both summer and winter
- In winter, the biggest chance you have of spotting whales is from Flagstaff Hill. The drive to the top is picturesque and it is certainly a photo opportunity. The café and interpretive centre are currently being rebuilt, but BYO picnic or coffee for a nice mid-morning stop-off
- For those with young kids or grandkids, the water park on the esplanade is a great place to cool off. Alternatively, explore the foreshore and take a stroll down the long jetty which was used during the filming of the iconic movie Australia
- Drive to Horseshoe Bay, Rose Bay or Grays Beach and enjoy a lazy afternoon on the beach or exploring the rocks. For the more adventurous walk the ocean-front path from Horeseshoe Bay ending at Rose Bay or climb to the top of the Horseshoe Bay lookout which gives stunning views back across the bay
- After a big day by the water, settle in for a great feed at The Grand View Hotel. Voted the Best Pub in Queensland on several occasion, the bistro style food and relaxing beer garden atmosphere make this the perfect place to end the day
- For overnight, there is some great accommodation. Head to https://www.tourismbowen.com.au/accommodation/location/bowen
- Before you set off the next morning, pop into La Sorelle Coffee House for a gorgeous brekkie and the best cup of coffee in town!
For all the information on Bowen and the surrounds – https://www.tourismbowen.com.au/images/visitor-guides/BTG-17-18-Web.pdf